Recently, the “Earth is Flat” theory has had a resurgence in Malaysia. This is mainly thanks to a popular former nasyid singer and minor celebrity, who also doesn’t believe in vaccination or sending his kids to school. In fact, the singer himself has challenged the nation’s first astronaut, Dato Dr Sheikh Muszaphar Shukor, to swear in God’s name that the Earth is, indeed, spherical. The good astronaut, in response, has challenged back the singer to send his kids to school (good one, Dato!).
On the tails of this controversy has emerged various flat Earth memes making fun of the “Earth is Flat” theory. Here we share some of the funniest ones we have found, from Malaysia as well as around the world!
1. Let’s start with this question from the entrepreneur-inventor du jour, Elon Musk:-
Yes, The Flat Earth Society is a thing (more on that later).
2. So if different planets can have different shapes, then the doughnut shouldn’t be disregarded.
Mmmm… we can always dream, can’t we?
3. Also… if the Earth was flat while Mars is round, could the galaxy look like this?
4. And shouldn’t the sun look more like the star that it claims to be?
5. While a Lunar eclipse would look like this, says people who are both members of the Flat Earth Society and inhabitants of Terry Pratchett’s Discworld.
6. Their theory would also explain how exactly the dinosaurs became extinct.
Yep, they were catapulted out of the orbit.
7. I mean, the evidence is just overwhelming, right? Right?
8. This explains everything.
9. And this could be the future…
10. So how did people start thinking this way?
This, by the way, could very well be the origins of the Flat Earth Society (we told ya it’s a thing).
11. Which makes a very good job of making fun of itself.
To date, the Flat Earth Society has about 40,000 members on its Facebook page but judging from their posts (but not the comments, though), the FES is more about encouraging healthy discussions about science and the climate, rather than forcing their “theory” on other people. We find it quite educational, actually.
12. So, no, we don’t really think members of the FES are like this:-
At least, not all of them.
13. Otherwise, there’s always this:-
14. Meanwhile, pro-round Earthers have made very compelling arguments as proof that our planet is round.
15. Also, how do you explain the globe if the Earth was flat?
16. Round-Earthers have very good reasons to be so, too…
17. Plus, it would be a bit unfair that some countries would get the edge-of-the-Earth corner lot or end lot, no?
Everyone knows the corner- or end-lot is more premium than intermediate country lots.
18. The view would be totally worth the price, though…
FB user Salmah Melor claims to be one lucky owner of an end-of-the-flat-Earth end-lot home, but cites the possibility of slipping into the galaxy as one of the hazards.
19. Well… maybe there is no winner.
20. Except for maybe Indonesia. #DoneClaim
You might also be interested in: OF CERTOT, MEMBAWANG AND OTHER MALAYSIAN SLANG