Many still think consuming potatoes is fattening. We know what you're thinking: "Potatoes are carbs, and carbs are fattening." But did you know that they work great for weight management? They contain dietary fibres that will keep you filled and reduce hunger pangs. So you'll be less likely to eat more and thus, pack on more calories.
Fuel for your body and brain
Eating a medium-sized potato (about 148g) will provide you with 45% of your daily recommended intake of vitamin C. Here are more good-for-you facts:
- 1 potato is only 110 calories (= half a bowl of rice)
- Has 26g of carbohydrates and 3g of complete protein
- Contains no fat, sodium and cholesterol
- Packs in more potassium than a banana!
READ MORE: What are the benefits of potatoes?
Sweet Coconut Potato Dumpling with Fresh Mango
500g US Potatoes (About 2 potatoes steamed until soft and still warm)
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups All purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
4 tbls sugar
1 litre water to boil dumplings
2 tablespoons coconut oil
200ml Coconut Milk
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 x fresh sweet mangoes
1. Use a ricer to mash the potatoes to make it as fluffy as possible and let it cool on the table
2. once cool and crack and egg before combining with your hands
3. Next sprinkling 1 cup of flour, sugar, salt and mix well and bind together
4. roll up and kneed gently the dough before cuting into 4
5. roll the dough up into a long sausage before cutting the dough into 1/2 and ince dumplings and dust with more flour if need be
6. In a pot of boiling water, drop the dumplings into the hot salty boiling water and cook the dumplings until the float. Next drain it on a kitchen towel
7. Next in a pan of add in coconut oil before browning the dumplings
8. In a pot add in coconut milk and heat up before adding sugar and salt
9. To serve, place the dumplings in a bowl add some manggo slices and serve the coconut milk on the side like a pouring syrup.
Picture credit: Potatogoodness.com (cover)