Prep 40 mins
Cook 15 mins
2/3 cup caster sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
½ tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp white vinegar
2/3 cup self-raising flour
2 tsps dutch cocoa powder
¼ cup buttermilk
1 tsp red gel paste food colouring
60g cream cheese, softened
25g butter, softened
2 cups icing sugar, sifted
1. Preheat oven to moderately slow, at 160˚C. Line a 24-hole mini muffin tray with paper patty cases.
2. In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat sugar and butter together until pale and creamy. Beat in egg, vanilla and vinegar. Sift in combined flour and cocoa, beating until just combined. With motor running, gradually add buttermilk, beating until smooth. Mix in colouring.
3. Pour mixture evenly among patty cases until two-thirds full. Bake 10-15 mins, until cooked when tested. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
4. To make frosting: In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter together until pale and creamy. Gradually add icing sugar, beating until smooth.
5. Fit a piping bag with a star-shaped nozzle and fill with frosting. Pipe onto cooled cakes. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Tip: If preferred, use ready-made frosting, from the baking aisle in supermarkets.
Photos: Rob Shaw/Bauersyndication.com.au / Styling: Georgina Ropiha / Preparation: Carla Do Carmo