Lemon loafs and cakes are truly refreshing especially for a light snack or dessert. And did you know this tip? If you’re ready for a nice afternoon of baking, only to find that your brown sugar has clumped up the night before, try tossing the peel of half a lemon into the jar and let it sit through the night. The peel purportedly retains water and can help add moisture back to your sugar, making it loose and soft once more.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 50-55 minutes
Makes: One 23x13cm loaf
For the loaf
150g all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
For the glaze
1 lemon, juice only
30g icing sugar
2 sprigs fresh thyme
Combine ingredients in a saucepan, and heat to melt the sugar.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating until creamy.
- Blend in milk.
- In another bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt and lemon rind.
- Pour into batter, and stir to moisten.
- Scrape into a greased loaf pan.
- Bake in a 350f degree oven for 50 to 55 minutes.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- Remove to rack. With a toothpick, poke holes all over the top of the loaf while it’s still hot.
- Spoon glaze evenly over, and leave to cool.
Recipe by Huckleberry